On 20 February 2015, the UK government announced important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for visa purposes.
If you are planning to study in the UK, please check the website of the institution you are interested in to identify the exact testing requirements for your course.
if you make a visa application to move to the UK, you need to be aware of the changes made by United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
For more information on the UK Visas and Immigration, please visit www.gov.uk
Candidates going to the UK are advised to verify with their chosen institution/ university for therequired version of the IELTS test they need before registering for their IELTS test. Refunds will only be given as per IELTS policy. Please see guidelines on IELTS refunds.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the world’s most popular English language test. More than 2 million IELTS tests are taken each year.
Taking IELTS opens doors – it can help you live, study and work around the world. More than 8,000 organisations worldwide accept IELTS, including government, academic and employment institutions. In fact, IELTS is the only English language test accepted for immigration purposes by all countries that require one.
The IELTS test is designed to help you use English in your new life abroad. Within few hours IELTS will assess all of your English Language communication skills: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
The most effective way of testing your English conversation skills is face-to-face. This means that you are assessed by having a conversation with a real person. This is the most effective and natural way of testing your English language communication skills.
Designed by experts in English language assessment and trusted around the world, you can be sure that IELTS will give a fair and consistent assessment of your English skills.
Why take IELTS with the British Council?
The British Council has more than 75 years’ experience teaching and testing English. We have helped people in more than 130 countries gain English language qualifications that help them make the most of their chances in life. Our English teaching and exams help people around the world improve their education and career prospects.
Here are just a few reasons why millions of people have taken IELTS with the British Council:
- Expert support: from videos and books to online interactive courses, you have access to the best preparation materials to help you do well in your test.
- Road to IELTS is the British Council’s free, popular online preparation course. When you register for an IELTS test with us you also get access to 30 hours of free online practice.
- Free IELTS Pretesting (Mock tests) which give learners a chance to practice IELTS tests using genuine question papers under exams conditions. Pretesting provides you with valuable test practice and also gives you an insight of what an IELTS test is like, and the types of questions that are asked.
- Workshop: This workshop is intensive; it provides exam skills for those who want to familiarise themselves with the contents of the IELTS examination and get some awareness of the skills required to achieve the band result . The workshop is suitable for both Academic and General Training modules.
- Convenient dates and locations: There are 24 IELTS sessions in a year with 2 sessions per month. This means that you have a huge range of options for when you can take your test.
- Easy booking: You can book your IELTS test online and take advantage of flexible payment options in Rupees.
- Fast results: You will be able to get your results just 13 days after the date you take your test.
- Special arrangements: Your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any disability or special needs that you may have.