Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
- IELTS Academic
- IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES FOR BOTH ACADEMIC & GENERAL TRAINING
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may still be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test will take place on a different day before your test day. You will receive notification in advance for your test day details.
4. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book a test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the following documents:
5. PREPARE AND SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
Please provide a copy of your passport or National ID card.
You will need to bring the same ID document on test day otherwise you will not be permitted to take the test.
6. CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
The cost of a test is Rs 6,500. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) Via bank transfer
Below you may find our bank details:
|Bank Name||Standard Bank|
|Bank Account Name||British Council|
|SWIFT Code / BIC||SBICMUMU|
Instructions for bank transfer payment:
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date]
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents
iii) In person at the British Council Rose Hill reception desk. If you want to pay in person, we accept:
- Cash (the exact amount only)
- Credit card.
|Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday||09:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Saturday||08:30 - 17:00|
|Monday, Sunday and public holidays||Closed|
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration). Send this summary together with a copy of your passport or ID document to the following address:
Customer Service Team
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form.
8. AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS
- We will send you a confirmation letter two weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address by post.
- As from the session of 06 September 2014 onwards, we will send you a confirmation email two weeks prior to the test date with your IELTS test day details (including time, test venue address and all relevant information).
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us at email@example.com three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus 25% administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Refunds, if approved, will be processed in 5 weeks.
For further information, please see our terms and conditions.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.